Sunday, July 22, 2012

Looking Up

Just imagine that we're flying and look down.  The ground is white with snow and flakes are still falling.  Then, what's that?  Is it a weird penguin? Nah, it's a big ole snowman looking up at us.  Or is it a snowgal?


Either way, I'm not telling you how long I fiddled with this card.  I started to give it up a few times, but kept going back.  When I saw this sketch from Freshly Made Sketches, I thought of this snowman.


He/she isn't an original.  I've seen variations of the snowman from above in galleries.

The circles are die cut with Nesties and the edges sponged with Baja Breeze.  The arms were cut with the Little Leaves Sizzlit and the leaves removed. The nose was cut freehand, several times I might add.  They kept disappearing.  Of course when I got one glued on, the all showed up!  The eyes were punched from an old fashioned, generic, paper punch.  I used a little white gel pen on them and penciled in the mouth.

The hat was a real challenge and I tried so many things that I'm not sure I know what I did.  I think I punched a circle then cut around it until it looked OK to me.  The pompom is 2 itty, bitty snowflakes from a punch I found in the Dollar Store ages ago.

The snow banks were cut with the Adorning Accents Edgelits and embossed with the matching embossing folder.  I just laid it randomly before cranking it through.  The background is some dotted vellum that I found in my vellum folder.  Glad I found it, cause it worked perfectly.

I'm glad he's done and I hope he makes you smile.

All supplies are Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted

Card Recipe
Stamps:  More Merry messages
Ink:  Poppy Parade, Baja Breeze
Paper:  Baja  Breeze, Whisper White, Dotted Vellum (non SU), scraps of Poppy Parade, Chocolate Chip, Tangerine Tango and Basic Black
Other:  Big Shot, Adorning Accents Edgelit, Adorning Accents EF, Circle Dies (Spellbinder), Paper Punch (non SU), Snowflake Punch (non SU), Poppy Parade ribbon (retired), Decorative Label Punch

Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you'll come back soon.

Enjoy!!


12 comments:

Joanne Travis said...

I LOVE this snowman!! So cute and I may just have to case this for my sister. She loves snowmen.

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh Bonnie, what an absolutely adorable card! I just love that snowman!

jimlynn said...

Bonnie, this is SO creative and cute!!! Doesn't matter if it's a girl or guy snowman, it's adorable! Love the way you did the snow banks on here too!
Lynn

Cynthia said...

That card is so stinkin' cute I actually laughed OUT LOUD. Adorable!!!!! =D

Susie said...

Super adorable card, Bonnie.

Jen Timko said...

This does make me smile! Given the jaunty little beret, maybe a "she". ;-) So glad you joined us this week (and stuck with this fun idea!)!!

denmo said...

I lurve him! lol..fab card..denise

Benzi said...

Bonnie, being a snowman lover, I can't tell you how much I love this adorable card. Cute as can be!
Sorry you had so much trouble, but it is sure worth it. I love it!!!

Wanda said...

Bonnie, I absolutely love your snowman card! Love how you created the snow scene with the edgelits! Thanks so much for posting! Wanda

Victoria said...

This is an amazing take on the sketch! I love the snowman's quirky looking face!

Jen Mitchell said...

This is so cute and perfect for our sketch this week! Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches!

Jen Sannes said...

This is just fabulous! I love your creative take on this week's sketch - that snowman is too cute.